Good morning and happy Thursday! I hope everyone’s day has started off well!
Yesterday, I was invited to a kickboxing class by my new friend Meaghan. Meaghan is best friends with my sorority sister, Anna, and is pretty new to the area. Meaghan and I had met once or twice in college, but a few weeks ago, thanks to Anna ( ) Meaghan stumbled onto my blog and figured I’d enjoy the class as much as she does.
It was seriously the best “first girl date.” I didn’t have to worry about my hair, make-up, or outfit. I got to meet up with a fun girl and jab! hook! uppercut! for an hour and sweat my face off. I had such a good time!
Let’s be honest though – I am as sore as a mothertrucker today. And I looked a fool for that hour class. You need some sort of rhythm to fit in at a kickboxing class.
Newsflash – I have no rhythm. I totally looked like the new girl. In turn, it inspired me to make a list of how to avoid that.
How to Avoid Looking Like the New Girl
(In a fitness class)
1. When the instructor asks “Do we have any first timers with us tonight? Don’t raise your hand. If you do that, all bets are off.
2. Try your best not to sweat profusely during the “warm up” Also, avoid letting out an audible groan when the instructor says “Good warm up, ladies! On to the workout!”
3. At the first water break, don’t guzzle down your entire Nalgene. This will create cramping for the remainder of the class. You also risk dying of thirst for the next 45 minutes.
4. Don’t wear jorts. I didn’t do this one, but I’ve seen it done. Jorts are a dead give away that you’re new and have no idea what’s going on. It’s also a safe bet you’ll experience chafing like you never have before.
5. If in a kickboxing class, look behind you before you back-kick. Let’s just say, you feel like a huge asshole when you kick a high schooler in the face.
6. Have fun. New or experienced – if you’re not having a good time, why even bother? I get nervous before my first time in a group class, but I have no problem laughing at myself the entire time. Side kicks? Can’t do ’em. Criss-cross jumps? I often trip myself. But it’s fun!
Let’s chat – What’s your favorite fitness class to attend? I love kickboxing and spin class!