My dear friend Emily recently found a 50 Best Things About Being Single list and posted it on her blog. I found it highly entertaining, mainly because I am a serial monogamist, I hate dating, and can only maintain that “you don’t know me yet, so I’ll attempt to appear polite and normal” facade for so long.
Naturally, I’ve wanted to be married since I was about 12 years old.
As someone who has been with the same guy for six years, I wanted to write a rebuttal to the Best Things about Being Single list. You know, because I think being married (or being in a serious, committed relationship) is the best thing in the world.
20 Best Things About Being Married
- You get to have a sleep over with your best friend every night.
- You’ve finally found that person who acknowledges that carry around Crazy Lady baggage, but is okay with you staying around and unpacking.
- You always have someone to hang out with.
- You no longer experience pre-date nerves.
- You have someone to share your best moments with.
- You have someone to hold you at your worst moments.
- If no one else in the whole world “gets” you – you know your partner does.
- You don’t have to go through that whole “are we Facebook official?” debacle.
- You have a person who motivates you to be better, even when you don’t want to be.
- You learn to compromise.
- You can be a dweeb and not worry about it.
- You don’t have to have awkward conversations with dudes when you go out to a bar. Just saying, Sorry, I’m married, is the best douche bag repellent ever.
- You don’t have to stress out about composing texts. Like, Did I sound crazy in that last text? or He put a period at the end of that sentence – is he mad?
- You don’t have to make difficult decisions alone. Sure, there are time when the decision-making will ultimately fall on you, but you have someone who has your best interest in mind to bounce ideas off of.
- It doesn’t suck to be around someone who thinks you’re the best looking person in the world.
- Married people live longer than single people.
- You don’t always have to be the one who does the dishes. (Right, Sarah? )
- Starting your own family/life with someone is the most amazing feeling. (“Family” can be two people and dog, just FYI)
- I cannot lie – finally being able to call your long-time boyfriend your “husband” is pretty awesome.
- Yeah, when you’re married you do have to think about someone other than yourself, you do have to adjust some of your habits, and sometimes you do fight. But life is one big adventure – and being married means you have someone to share it with.
Let’s chat – Do you have anything to add (or subtract) from the list? I could get to 50, but that would be one hell of a long post!